Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Travellers in Trouble? EU Has a Guide with Useful Tips for a Worry-Free Summer

Travellers in Trouble? EU Has a Guide with Useful Tips for a Worry-Free SummerAnger with tour operator, airline or car rental company? Lost travel documents? Medical emergencies? Travelling with pets? Millions of travellers have thousands of questions.  The European Commission has summarized the most important guidelines and useful tips for a worry-free summer holiday.
With the holiday season already starting and millions of Europeans intending on travelling within and outside the European Union, there are certain travel considerations that every European should be aware of. Whether these concern having a health insurance, resolving travel disputes with an operator or travelling with a pet, these tips provide a useful insight into the ways in which the EU is working to help and assist EU travellers.

What do I need to know if I want to take my pet (cat, dog or ferret) with me on holiday in the EU?
EU citizen travelling within the EU: Travelling within EU with your pet is possible: there are just a few things to keep in mind. A valid anti-rabies vaccination must be entered into your pet passport when you travel with your dog to another EU country. However, if you travel to Ireland, Finland, Malta or the United Kingdom your pet will also need to undergo anti-parasite treatment. These rules are only applicable to dogs, cats and ferrets. For young dogs or cats or any other types of pets, it is advisable to check with the competent authorities of the EU country that you are planning to visit to find out the specific conditions it sets for travelling to that country with your pet.
Below some examples:
Travelling with a pet
For more information:
EU citizen travelling home from outside the EU: A pet passport is used for pets travelling within EU countries or returning home from outside the EU. Depending on your holiday destination, your pet may be required, in addition to the anti-rabies vaccination, to undergo tests and wait for three months before entering the EU.
If you are a resident of Andorra, Croatia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland or the Vatican City State holding a pet passport for your pet you are entitled to travel with your pet within the EU.
For more information:
Tour Operator Goes Bust
I’ve booked a package holiday but my operator went bust. Can I get a refund?
The Package Travel Directive protects European consumers going on holidays and covers pre-arranged package holidays combining at least two of the following: (1) transport, (2) accommodation (3) other tourists services such as sightseeing tours (sold at an inclusive price).
The Directive provides protection covering: information in brochures, rights to cancel without penalty, liability for services (e.g. sub-standard hotels) and protection in the case of a tour operator or airline going bust.
Medical Emergencies
Who can help me if I have a medical emergency?
Are you planning on travelling in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland? If so, don’t forget your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The card can help you save time, hassle and money if you fall ill or suffer an injury while abroad. The Card is available – free of charge – from national health insurance providers. It guarantees access to urgent treatment under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.
To find out more:
A handy guide on how to use the Card in the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland is now available as an application for smartphones. It includes general information about the card, emergency phone numbers, treatments that are covered and costs, how to claim reimbursement and who to contact in case you have lost your card. The app is available in 24 languages.
Download the “European Health Insurance Card” app for your smartphone:
European Emergency Number 112
Do not forget that there is the single European emergency number “112″, reachable everywhere in the EU, from landlines and mobile phones, free of charge. 112 links the caller to the relevant emergency service (local police, fire brigade or medical services) and is available 24-hours a day. 112 is now operational in all EU member states alongside existing national emergency numbers (like 999 or 110). Denmark, Finland, Malta, The Netherlands, Portugal, Romania and Sweden have decided to make 112 their sole or main national emergency number. 112 is also being used in a few countries outside the EU, such as Croatia, Montenegro and Turkey.
To find out more:
The whole summary with many more questions, you will find here !

 Posted by

No comments:

Post a Comment